Okay, I’ve been tagged for two different memes now, and I’m way behind, so I’m going to do this MY way. I’m not posting the rules, because I don’t want to. And I’m not tagging anyone else, because we are an incestuous lot and most of us have already been tapped.
I started out by alternating the memes in a long, long list, but it got confusing fast---so now I’m just going to break them into two groups, but put them in the same post.
I suppose I should put Jesus first:
1. I dig that Jesus doubted that God was really there and that God loved him. “My God, my God! Why hast Thou forsaken me?!” Since we believe that Jesus is God (or one part of the Trinity, anyway), that means God doubted Himself. Makes me feel better about my own lack of self-confidence.
2. I dig that Jesus’ first post-resurrection appearance was to the women who had been faithful to the end. Jesus knows who his friends are---the guys may be great for fishing and drinking, but the women are the ones who will stick with you.
3. I dig that Jesus was wrong about something—and admitted it and changed his mind. (See the story of the Canaanite woman whose daughter was possessed in Matthew 15.) So God doubts Himself, and God can change His mind. Gives me hope.
4. Re: #3--I dig that the only argument Jesus ever lost was to that woman. Did I mention that I am an excellent debater? ;-)
5. I dig that Jesus forgave people who didn’t ask for it and didn’t “deserve” it. Gives me hope that he’ll forgive me---because even though I don’t deserve it, I ask for it. A LOT.
Okay, now we’ll talk about me!
1. I believe in God because of the Hubble telescope and Bach’s Double Violin Concerto in D Minor (especially the largo…).
2. I always wear perfume. I am not a girly-girl in any other way, but I love to smell good.
3. I am the only woman I know who had a mid-life crisis and bought a minivan. I am the happiest minivan driver you will ever meet. (And yes, I know, I know—it gets terrible gas mileage…but it holds my entire family and the guinea pigs. With room left over!) But if I won the lottery, you’d see me zipping down the road in a BMW Z4 convertible---I had no idea I was so shallow until I saw that car, but it just takes my breath away.
4. I live almost entirely on meat, cheese, and eggs. I was eating Atkins before anyone ever heard of him. I am carnivorous by nature. My last physical (July 2006) showed that my cholesterol is in the normal range and my ratios are fabulous.
5. I hate shopping. One of the best compliments I have ever received (and it was only yesterday!) was “Doxy, you shop like a man!”—meaning I run in, pick something out, pay for it, and go.
6. I believe in miracles, because I am watching the miracle of my own life unfold in front of my eyes.
7. I cannot abide people who honk their horns to make you hurry up at stop lights. If you do this, stop it. Right now. You gain what? 2 seconds? And all you are going to do when you get there is sit. Chill.
8. Outside of the Bible, C.S. Lewis’ book, The Great Divorce, has had the greatest single impact on my faith. It made me stop being afraid of hell---no small accomplishment for this former fundamentalist.
I thank all of you who tagged me. These are fun---and forcing myself to write them (I initially typed “right them”—Freudian slip!) is helping me overcome my recent mild bout of depression. Merci beaucoup!